[Snort-users] Snort-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 26

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Tue Sep 19 13:37:26 EDT 2006

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:22:14 -0700 SN ORT
<snort_on_acid at ...131...> wrote:

> Oh well, since you know Marty so well, you're like
> close friends now, maybe you can explain why people
> now have to pay for the latest sigs?

Well, I can't explain that, because I *don't* pay for sigs.  And they seem
to work just fine.

You can pay for sigs if you want them *instantly*.  Or you can wait five
days and get them for free.  Or you can write your own.

> What philosophy
> does this follow again? I'm not faulting people for
> trying to make a buck, I'm just saying it's a bit
> foolish to rely soley on a free product to protect
> your network and expect it to remain free and last
> forever.

I think you're living in the dark ages.  The future is open source+, which
means open source products backed by professional support and complementary
products - like Sourcefire's RNA, for example.

> Open source is a Godsend, but let's be realistic:
> another reason to make a great open-source product is
> to build confidence, reputation, and then start making
> the big $$$$$! This is a natural progression of
> things, and sooner or later programmers have to make
> money.

Read the blog post that Jason linked to.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/