[Snort-users] Snort-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 26

SN ORT snort_on_acid at ...131...
Tue Sep 19 13:22:14 EDT 2006

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:16:35 -0500
From: Paul Schmehl <pauls at ...6838...>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] rules downloads and
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 06:29:55 -0700 SN ORT

<snort_on_acid at ...131...> wrote:

> I tell ya personally I wouldn't be relying on
anything
> too heavily when it involves FREE software/services.
> would always expect the worse to happen and be
> prepared for it. Snort can drop the product at the
> drop of a hat and wouldn't be any worse off for it.
> bet they've been planning for years as to how
they're
> going to do just that. So far, it looks like a very
> slow and gradual move from free software to paid.
>
> I leave the real protections of our networks to
> devices and services we pay for.

I thought of all sorts of nasty retorts, but I'll
refrain from
insulting
you and simply say, you couldn't possibly be more
wrong.  And I say
this as
someone who knows Marty Roesch as well as his
philosophy personally and
uses both the free snort product *and* the commercial
RNA product.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas