[Snort-users] rules downloads and

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Tue Sep 19 11:16:35 EDT 2006

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 06:29:55 -0700 SN ORT
<snort_on_acid at ...131...> wrote:

> I tell ya personally I wouldn't be relying on anything
> too heavily when it involves FREE software/services. I
> would always expect the worse to happen and be
> prepared for it. Snort can drop the product at the
> drop of a hat and wouldn't be any worse off for it. I
> bet they've been planning for years as to how they're
> going to do just that. So far, it looks like a very
> slow and gradual move from free software to paid.
>
> I leave the real protections of our networks to
> devices and services we pay for.

I thought of all sorts of nasty retorts, but I'll refrain from insulting
you and simply say, you couldn't possibly be more wrong.  And I say this as
someone who knows Marty Roesch as well as his philosophy personally and
uses both the free snort product *and* the commercial RNA product.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/