[Snort-users] rules downloads and scalability

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...8860...
Mon Sep 18 09:21:50 EDT 2006

I do want to add to my comment. I do understand Sourcefire's reasoning
for doing this. With the number of times Snort has been downloaded and
half that number of people were checking our web site multiple times a
day (I hear its as excessive as every 10 mins), I too would have put a
mechanism in place to prevent it.

Also, I took a closer look at the Sourcefire message for download
limiting. It seems to be every 15 minutes. I think if anyone downloads
new rules more often than every 15 minutes, something needs to be changed :)

- -------------- snip -------------

Next download available at: 2006-09-18 09:33:54 (Currently: 2006-09-18
09:18:55)

You don't have permission to access
/pub-bin/downloads.cgi/Download/vrt_os/snortrules-snapshot-2.4.tar.gz on
this server.

- -------------- snap -------------

Best Regards,

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Email:   eric.hines at ...8860...
Address: 1095 Pingree Road
         Suite 221
         Crystal Lake, IL
         60014
Tel:     (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Fax:     (847) 854-5106
Web:     http://www.appliedwatch.com

Security Management for the Open Source Enterprise