[Snort-users] Base Configuration!

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Fri Sep 15 14:06:38 EDT 2006

--On Friday, September 15, 2006 10:01:09 -0700 Zakai Kinan
<titanyen2000 at ...131...> wrote:

> 1. I read that I only need the client portion of my
> mysql to be installed in order for snort to be able to
> log to a remote mysql server.  Is this assumption
> correct?

Yes, but I would suggest that you have snort log unified logs and then use
barnyard to "talk to" the remotely hosted database.

> 2. Can base be installed and work properly on a
> different server?  Let me clarify:  the snort firewall
> will send its logs to a database server and base will
> be installed on a different server.

Sure.  All base needs is to know where the db is, what its name is and what
the login credentials are.

> 3. Does mysql have to be running for snort to send its
> logs to a different server?

No.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer