[Snort-users] about base user 501

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Wed Sep 13 15:25:43 EDT 2006

This simply means that when base was packaged for release, it was packaged under a user with the uid of 501.

Since you do not have a uid of 501 on your system, this does not apply.  Change base to the appropriate user and march on.

BASE does not create a user on your system..

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 08:12:53PM +0200, franz apparently sent me:
> hello all i only have a question about de user createt by installing
> base namde 501 bu he does not exist.
>
> a "ll"    in  the /var/www/  shows up
> "drw-rw-r--  14  501  501    1624 2006-08-23 16:47 base"
>
> thanks
>
> franz

joel esler          senior security consultant         1-706-627-2101
Sourcefire    Security for the /Real/ World -- http://www.sourcefire.com
       Snort - Open Source Network IPS/IDS -- http://www.snort.org
           aim:eslerjoel  ymsg:eslerjoel gtalk:eslerj