[Snort-users] keeping tuned signatures after update of snort.conf

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Tue Sep 12 15:33:10 EDT 2006

Base has some dependencies, but there are more pros than cons.

Oinkmaster, use 'modifysid' to turn the rule off, look in the documentation or even in the oinkmaster.conf file.

> I was under the assumption if the rule is edited and ID remains the
> same it will not be overwritten on next oinkmaster update..Am i
> mistaken here?

If a rule is edited and the ID remains the same, the rule WILL be overwritten (hence why I recommend you edit a COPY of our rule, as opposed to editing our direct rule, because if you modify our rule, then use oinkmaster, all your changes just got zapped).

I'd rather edit manually, but I have alot of stuff that does it for me.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:50:37PM -0400, martin apparently sent me: