[Snort-users] Fatal error with BASE

Axton Grams axton.grams at ...11827...
Sun Sep 10 23:37:59 EDT 2006

Alejandro wrote:
> Dear all, I'm continue with Andy Firman tutorial and I've just installed
> Snort with Mysql. But after install BASE I open my browser, execute the
> first screen, and after fill in boxes from the  step 2 of 5 from setup
> screen  I get this error:
>
> *Fatal error*: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in
> */usr/share/php/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php* on line *353
>
> *I read that maybe putting this line in /etc/php4/cli/php.ini the
> problem will solve:*
>
> *extension=mysql.so
>
> But when I run the BASE setup program from the browser I get this new error:
>
> *Warning*: include(/adodb.inc.php) [function.include
> <http://localhost/base/setup/function.include>]: failed to open stream:
> No such file or directory in */var/www/base/setup/setup2.php* on line *24*
>
> *Warning*: include() [function.include
> <http://localhost/base/setup/function.include>]: Failed opening
> '/adodb.inc.php' for inclusion
> (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in
> */var/www/base/setup/setup2.php* on line *24*
>
> *Fatal error*: Call to undefined function NewADOConnection() in
> */var/www/base/setup/setup2.php* on line *48
> *
> Can you help me please ???? I really thanks a lot !!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Alejandro*

You have to install the prerequisite software:

- adodb (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/)
This one is easy, just unzip/untar the adodb files to your webroot

- mysql client
required to compile php with mysql support

- php with mysql support
I always compile php, so I compile it with --with-mysql=<mysql install
base>.  I've never used the loadable module you referenced.  Also, I
believe the php.ini file is for Windows.  php-pear can be used to load
various php modules, like gd, etc.

There are lots of tutorials that walk you through the process of setting
 up base:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Snort-Statistics-HOWTO.html
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_BASE_with_Apache,_Snort,_and_PostgreSQL
http://www.howtoforge.com/intrusion_detection_base_snort