[Snort-users] Newbie Questions

Adam Keeton akeeton at ...1935...
Fri Oct 27 11:06:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

Snort 2.6.0.2 is almost undoubtedly dropping TCP packets due to failed
checksum checking.  You can verify this by adding a "-k none" to Snort's
args to disable checksum checks.

If you are dropping TCP packets from checksums, you can either download
the latest beta (2.6.1 beta 2), check out the latest open source copy
from CVS, or recompile Snort 2.6.0.2 with -fno-strict-aliasing.

To recompile without strict aliasing, do a "make clean", and run
configure with the CFLAGS environment variable set to
"-fno-strict-aliasing" ie:

CFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing ./configure <your configuration options>

Thanks,
Adam