[Snort-users] consult some questions about snort

fan wu conjurer1981 at ...5635...
Sun Oct 15 06:44:37 EDT 2006

I have configured a snort system (snort 2.4.5)on my computer for debian
system. Now I am using it and I have some questions.I
want to  consult them.

   1st: in  debug.h,there  is  a  macro definition

  #define    DebugMessage    DebugMessageFile = __FILE__;
 DebugMessageLine = __LINE__; DebugMessageFunc

   what  does  that  mean?

 2nd: in the snort.conf ,I  set  the  output alert_unified
file and  output log_unified file to be snort.alert and
snort.log.I am surprised that the content in these files are
 odd characters,which I can't read.

 Do the packets' content first encrypted then stored in
these files?

3rd:  what does the time window stand for?I guess it means
the used time today.Am I right?

4th:  in the snort.conf,I set the HOME_NET localhost,but
many other IPs appears.These IPs are in the same B-type net.

  I am looking for reply,

 thanks.