[Snort-users] [Sguil-users] Barnyard stop suddenly

Devin Kowatch dkowatch at ...13852...
Tue Oct 10 14:10:53 EDT 2006

I've run into this only when the disk that snort was writing its unified
log to filled up.  As best as I could tell the problem was due to snort
not discovering that a write failed, and not writing a full chunk to the
unified log file.  Once the disk unfilled some snort would pick up where
it left off.  The end result was a corrupt unified log file.

For me the best fix was to put the full packet capture logs on a disk
other than where snort was writing its unified alert log.  However, I
also have a patch for snort (2.6) that causes it to exit when the writes
fail.  This doesn't actually solve the problem (you still lose all data
after the disk filled up), but does make recovering a bit easier.  Let
me know if you want it and I'll dig it out.

-devink