[Snort-users] New IPS testing methodology

Bob Walder bwalder at ...1926...
Tue Oct 10 09:19:31 EDT 2006

For those of you who are interested, we have launched our new IPS testing
methodology which includes more extensive security coverage testing, evasion
testing and performance testing than previously, as well as formalising the
testing of the management capabilities, etc.

The format of the test reports has been streamlined to try and make them
easier to read and to relate the descriptive test directly to the
methodology. This should make it easier to compare different
reports/products.

Biggest news is that the ENTIRE test report - including all the benchmark
tables, etc. - is now available on-line for free download (no registration).
The first products have now been certified and the results are available
on-line at the following links:

http://www.nss.co.uk/certification/ips/certips.htm
http://www.nss.co.uk/certification/ips/certipsresults.htm

As you will see, all of the certification programs are ongoing throughout
the year now - we intend to collect a number of the results together with
some analysis in a group test report every so often

I hope you find the individual test reports useful - many vendors are signed
up for both IPS and Multi-Gigabit IPS testing and the results will be
published as the testing of each product is completed.

Bob Walder
The NSS Group