[Snort-users] Snort 2.6.1 Stops Logging

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...294...
Tue Nov 21 16:33:59 EST 2006

Colin Grady wrote:
> I've migrated one system from Snort 2.6.0.2 <http://2.6.0.2> to Snort
> 2.6.1. I've made no configuration file changes and no command-line
> changes between the two releases, but after somewhere around 20-30
> minutes after being started Snort 2.6.1 seems to stop logging data.
> I'm using unified logging, which is being processed through Barnyard.
> The Snort process continues to run and the processor time continues to
> climb, but the unified logs stop growing -- so it's not related to
> Barnyard as best as I can tell.
>
> Anyone else seen anything like this?

I think this is a "me too".  I've just noticed that 2.6.1RC1 appears to
work initially, but stops logging at some later time. I am just
upgrading to 2.6.1 to see if that fixes it - but your report implies it
won't. We're using both syslog and mysql output modules - and both stop
reporting - so that (plus your barnyard report) implies the problem is
occurring somewhere earlier on.

This is snort-2.6.1RC1 under CentOS4.4

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417