[Snort-users] 2.6.1 and LOOOONG startup times plus moreignore_scanners info

James Lay jlay at ...13475...
Fri Nov 17 11:20:59 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Nigel
Houghton
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 9:59 AM
To: Forward4James
Cc: Snort
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] 2.6.1 and LOOOONG startup times plus
moreignore_scanners info

On  0, James Lay <jlay at ...13475...> wrote:

> include $RULE_PATH/local.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bad-traffic.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/exploit.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/scan.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/finger.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/ftp.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/telnet.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/rpc.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/rservices.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/dos.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/ddos.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/dns.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/web-cgi.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/web-coldfusion.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/web-iis.rules include $RULE_PATH/web-frontpage.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/web-misc.rules include $RULE_PATH/web-client.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/web-php.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/sql.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/x11.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/icmp.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/netbios.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/misc.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/attack-responses.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/mysql.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/smtp.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/pop3.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/nntp.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/other-ids.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/web-attacks.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/backdoor.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/shellcode.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/policy.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/porn.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/info.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/icmp-info.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/virus.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/spyware-put.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/experimental.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-botcc.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-drop.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-dshield.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-virus.rules include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-web.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-attack_response.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-dos.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-exploit.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-game.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-inappropriate.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-malware.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/bleeding-scan.rules include $RULE_PATH/bleeding.rules
>
> include $RULE_PATH/community-bot.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-dos.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-exploit.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-game.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-icmp.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-imap.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-inappropriate.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-mail-client.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-misc.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-smtp.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-sql-injection.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-virus.rules include
> $RULE_PATH/community-web-attacks.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-web-client.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-web-dos.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-web-misc.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/community-web-php.rules

Do you *really* want to enable *every* rule in *every* ruleset you can find?

You might want to start by trimming down the rules you want to use, then go
into each rule file and trim that down to individual rules you want to use.

--
Nigel Houghton
Office Linebacker

Actually, that IS a trimmed down list ;)  I have nuked a few more
though...sql and x11 and whatnot.  I guess a question could be if I want to
see attacks that are ONLY relative to services I'm running, or do I want to
see ALL attacks?

James