[Snort-users] Aanval Series 2 v2.3 Just Released

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...8860...
Thu Nov 2 21:05:15 EST 2006

Jeff,

My statement was companies that have a free version and a commercial
version of their solution.

With you: IDS Policy Manager and your commercial product Activeworx
Security Center.

My point is, I can see abuse of this list by companies who make a
stripped down version of their product for free and then use this list
to "announce" that free version of their commercial solutions (Remote
Assessment/Aanval). They click on the site to check out this stripped
down version only to come upon the commercial product. I just think
companies who have free stripped down versions of their product they
sell shouldn't be allowed to market it on this list.

Its ingenious I think -- limit some capabilities of your product and
call it a free version in order to be able to market your company on
this mailing list.

Alright, yeah, we did it once :) I suppose I'm just tired of seeing
Remote Assessments constant posts to this list for Aanval. The Halloween
sale was the "straw that broke the camel's back" with me.

Here is a post by you on April 10th which is a great example of what I'm
talking about. Anyway, I don't want this to turn in to a flame war so
I'll drop it. I said my piece.

- --- snip ---