[Snort-users] Aanval Series 2 v2.3 Just Released

Administration administration at ...13693...
Thu Nov 2 20:09:20 EST 2006

Tim / Group,

I/we are truly sorry you feel ill of our postings to the Snort Users
Group. Seeing as you are a competitor in the market, we are not at
all surprised, however we are not in the market to make enemies with
petty or snide replies/comments.

Just a few facts;

A quick search of the newsgroup shows "Applied Watch" in
approximately 99 postings, and "Aanval" in approximately 91 postings.
I don't see any clear advantage or abuse of the group here.

Aanval is also in the tag-line of several posters who are resellers
of the product, which accounts for roughly 75% of those postings
containing our product name.

administration at ...13693... posted 23 times dating back to
spring of 2004.
eric.hines at ...13982... posted 78 times since spring of 2004.

Our postings to the forum have been rather moderate in our opinion,
15 for 2006, 4 for 2005 and 4 for 2004.

Many users of snort first find information regarding consoles,
interfaces, appliances and other snort solutions (Free or commercial)
through the use of the Snort Users Group. Regardless if the product
is clearly indicated in the subject line, or hidden in a tag line we
believe it serves the same purpose.

We've just received several emails from list members/clients with an
opposing view, who indicate they have an interest in seeing
information on existing products, improvements, etc through the snort
group for all vendors. We agree with your comments on not wishing the
group to become a commercial highway, however this clearly isn't
happening since Aanval was introduced (3 years ago).

To be honest, if the Applied Watch Dashboard is updated or enhanced
with new features, I am sure the majority of snort users would love
to hear about it. If not, they do as I do and delete irrelevant
topics as I almost did this one.

And my .02 makes .04

./Loyal