[Snort-users] Aanval Series 2 v2.3 Just Released

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...8860...
Thu Nov 2 19:21:27 EST 2006

OK I'm so sick of these Remote Assessment commercials to this list and
can't bite my tongue anymore regarding their blatant use of this list
for posting coupons and holiday specials.

Why is Remote Assessment allowed to send coupons and pricing specials
(like the Halloween special on 10/31) to this list as well as product
announcements? Where does this stop?

Yes, and before some of you throw it back to us, Applied Watch has
/mistakenly/ did a REPLY-ALL to the snort-users list in the past when
sending an email to someone but never blatantly emailed pricing specials
like we saw earlier this week and now this one from Remote Assessment.

I understand that Aanval is offered as a restricted free version, but if
the company sells it as a product, I don't see why Remote Assessment
should be allowed to announce to this list new product releases. If this
is the case, than Applied Watch and all the other Snort integrators out
there should be able to assume the same posture.

If the Snort management product is completely free -- a true open source
product and is not sold or offered as a commercial solution, then I
think they should have the right to announce to this list. However,
products such as Aanval and ActiveWorx shouldn't (I've seen Jeff Dell do
the same thing in the past).

If this is the case, Applied Watch's Dashboard is free so therefore we
should be allowed the same rights to using this list as a marketing and
sales vehicle that these other companies are. I have no interest in
posting commercials for Applied Watch to this list, so a line needs to
be drawn in the sand and I think its only fair that announcements to
this list for Snort products be limited to strictly free solutions that
have no commercial version.

There's my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP