[Snort-users] consensus on BASE

Drew Burchett DrewB at ...13821...
Sat May 27 04:22:05 EDT 2006

While I can agree with most of what was said here, I can see one flaw
with Sguil.  I don't run any Linux boxes with a GUI frontend, and I
don't have the resources to load one just to run Sguil.  I'm using BASE
to help fine tune Snort as it's good to help weed out false positives
and for a good running overview of what is happening in realtime.  I
combine that with Snortalog for daily overviews of my data and then use
other programs to provide email and/or pager alerts on events that I
feel are important enough to draw my immediate attention.

I guess if BASE has one fatal flaw, there's no ability to see an IP
conversation that triggered an alert.  For example, if you see an ATTACK
RESPONSE 403 FORBIDDEN alert, there's no good way to tell if it was
malicious or if some dummy just typed in the wrong URL.

Drew Burchett
United Systems & Software
http://www.united-systems.com
Phone:  (270)527-3293
Fax:     (270)527-3132

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner and is believed to be clean.