[Snort-users] Can't suppress Tagged Packet

gary douglas GM-Douglas at ...13400...
Fri May 26 06:41:16 EDT 2006

I had the same problem. I found that some rules were doing the
tagging in the rule. They do this with the tag key word. Do a grep on
the rules folder for tag and you will find them.

I use oinkmaster to rewrite these rules. Here is an example of the
conf for oinkmaster that removes the tag key word from the bleeding-
virus.rules.

# remove tag from rules that create tagged packets in bleeding-
virus.rules.
modifysid bleeding-virus.rules "tag: session, 20, packets;" | ""
modifysid bleeding-virus.rules "tag: host,300,seconds,dst;" | ""
modifysid bleeding-virus.rules "tag: host,300,seconds,src;" | ""
modifysid bleeding-virus.rules "tag: session, 10, packets;" | ""
modifysid bleeding-virus.rules "tag: host,5,packets,src;" | ""

Oinkmaster also updates the rules everynight from both snort and
bleeding edge for us. It also updates the threashold file we use to
exculde rules. Since we are running 10 snort boxes it is a life saver.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Gary Douglas
R&I, ResNet Administrator