[Snort-users] snort-inline vs. snort with inline ??

Jason Brvenik jason.brvenik at ...1935...
Wed May 10 14:43:19 EDT 2006

snort in inline mode ( --enable-inline ) and snort-inline are two
different projects. There is common code in that the snort-inline
project starts with the snort code and then adds things like a clamav
preprocessor. In that sense they are the same inline.

If you are looking to do classic IPS then snort proper is fine. If you
need to do anti virus or some of the other things that snort-inline adds
then it is appropriate.

Clear as mud right?

Michael W Cocke wrote:
> I'm trying to work out what the difference is between running
> snort-inline and snort compiled 'with-inline'...  Is there any?  Which
> is better? (I know better is subjective, but give me a clue or two).
>
> Mike-
> --
> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
> --
> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces,
> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,

Jason Brvenik - Sourcefire
PGP: 89C6 DE77 3B32 FC03 A5AE B5DD 11DF 4C8B 0D8E 3383
Key: http://cerberus.sourcefire.com/~jbrvenik/jason.brvenik.pgp.key