[Snort-users] Stopping Snort

Charles Heselton charles.heselton at ...11827...
Wed Mar 29 18:43:14 EST 2006

________________________________

	From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Kretzer, Jason
R (Big Sandy)
	Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:24 PM
	To: Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor;
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Stopping Snort

	Depends on what OS, you are on.  Also, in the case of linux, what
set of scripts are used to start/stop.  Just in case I guess though I will
list a couple of ways that I know of for linux.

	For Debian, change to root and change directory to /etc/init.d and
issue a ./snort stop

In all actuality, this just kills the process.  Although, admittedly, it
appears a little more graceful to the user.

	For RedHat/Fedora, change to root and issue a service snort stop

Same here.

	For Windows, there should be an exe somewhere for stopping it,
though I have never used snort on windows.

	Hope this helps a little.

	-Jason

So, to succintly, and literally, answer the OP's question....No.