[Snort-users] Newbie (well sort of) to snort......

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Fri Mar 17 14:43:03 EST 2006

Charlotte,

You have some really good questions here.

1. How the order of rules is maintained.
2. AND/OR statements within rules
3. How to ignore false positives.
4. You want to have multiple rules trigger on the same traffic.

Okay.

1. I am going to refer you, and, everyone else that is interested in how our
current Rule Optimizer and Multi-Rule Inspection Engine and it¹s various
algorithms, to the whitepapers we have published on snort.org..
http://www.snort.org/docs/#devel  They are written by Marc Norton and Dan
Roelker.  Two guys that are on our engineering team, and work really hard on
the ³Packet Matching engine².  So check out those papers at the link, and
that should help you a lot.
   2.  Read those whitepapers first and that should explain a few things, if
you still have questions, write the list back :)
   3.  How to ignore false positives.  Okay, so you want to look for ³rm%20²
but not ³Form%20².  Makes sense, however, before we proceed down the road
of editing rules and such, lets get a couple things out of the way.  A) What
version of Snort are you running?  And B) Are you running the latest rule
pack available by registration at www.snort.org/rules?
   4. Refer to the above two questions first.

Please respond to the list so that everyone is available to help!

Joel Esler
SOURCEfire