[Snort-users] RE: [Snort-devel] Please do not use a vacation responder for your list memberships

Michael Scheidell scheidell at ...5171...
Mon Mar 13 03:07:04 EST 2006

Hey, I like vacation reminders.  Especially since it usually means the
person in charge of maintaining the ids at 'big company x' isn't in town
and watching their network for a few days.

Seriously, no vacation reminders should leak out of a network for
security reasons.
Microsoft exchange has no facility to limit vacation reminders as per
RFC's (yes, ms out of office will send to emails with a priority of
bulk!)

Not much the individual user can do but not even use vacation reminders
unless they set it up themselves with .vacation or .procmailrc scripts.

Even if you asked your email admin to companywide limit vacation
reminders to internal only, some manager would have them turn it back
on, so, just don't use them.