[Snort-users] Does Signature exist alert on DNS queries to a nameserver.

Zultan zultan at ...13388...
Mon Mar 6 13:00:01 EST 2006

Here's the basic syntax.  Note the hex number between the pipes. It is the count of the number of following ASCII bytes.  For example, freebeertoday.com would be |0d|freebeertoday|03|com

alert udp $HOME_NET any -> $DNS_SERVERS 53 (msg:"amazon.com DNS query"; content:"|06|amazon|03|com"; nocase;)

Sensor placement is critical for this to work.  The senosr must be able to see the desktop ask its nameserver(s).

Zultan