[Snort-users] fail-open nic and snort?

Frank Knobbe frank at ...9761...
Sun Mar 5 16:20:14 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 17:54 -0500, Crayola wrote:
> I would like to build a snort based IPS solution but I cant seem to find a
> vendor who sells fail open nics. Since snort would be inline, I cant have it
> blocking my network connection if the system fails, loses power, etc.
>
> I checked out bypass switches from Netoptics but I would like something that
> can be installed directly in the PC. A PCI nic basically.
> Any ideas?

You can easily built those yourself. It's nothing else but a handful of
Reed Relays that, when power is off, cause a cross-connect between the
two external plugs, and when power is on, provide a normal feed to the
jack.

A couple relays, two RJ-45 jacks, to RJ-45 plugs and a small universal
circuit board is all you need (besides some skillz handling a solder
iron...).

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.