[Snort-users] fail-open nic and snort?

Gulfie gulfie at ...13618...
Sun Mar 5 16:16:33 EST 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 05:54:39PM -0500, Crayola wrote:
> I would like to build a snort based IPS solution but I cant seem to find a
> vendor who sells fail open nics. Since snort would be inline, I cant have it
> blocking my network connection if the system fails, loses power, etc.
>
> I checked out bypass switches from Netoptics but I would like something that
> can be installed directly in the PC. A PCI nic basically.
> Any ideas?

	The ABN-102, from portwell seems to be what you want, or something like it.
(Note, this isn't a recomendation, Iv'e never used them).

	http://www.portwell.com/abn-102.htm

	A pair of intel gige ports on a card, with a power off bypass.

	There are other vendors with similar products:

	http://www.etinc.com/index.php?page=etfailover.htm
	http://www.interfacemasters.com/products/
	http://www.adlinktech.com/PD/web/PD_detail.php?cKind=FF&pid=500&seq=6&id=20&sid=181

	Find one with (insert your os here) support, and you should be good, after a little
scripting and testing to make sure that the bypass is enabled whenever snort isn't running.