[Snort-users] problem with mysql and snort

Tomás Rodriguez Orta admin at ...13854...
Wed Jun 28 22:52:53 EDT 2006

Hello friends.
I have installed the snort and mysql 4.0.21, but when I execute the snort in
the console, it showing the followin error.
polux#snort
database: compiled support for ( mysql )
database: configured to use mysql
database:          user = root
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database:          host = localhost
database:   sensor name = 192.168.0.1
ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (38)
Fatal Error, Quitting..

why?
I try to solve the problem
first- the file mysql.sock is in /var/db/mysql/mysql.sock not  in the
/tmp/mysql.sock, in the file my.cfg of the mysql, I write the followin line.
socket = /var/db/mysql/mysql.sock
big-tables
skip-innodb
skip-locking
[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/usr/local/mysql/
[mysql_safe]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysql.pid

second- I make an symbolic enlace with
ln -s /var/db/mysql/mysql.sock  /tmp/mysql.sock

and the final result was negative, the problem continue.
please, I need some help for  run snort very well without problem.
I hope some help.
best regards sincerely TOMAS