[Snort-users] Snort + email alerts

Daniel Cid danielcid at ...6873...
Wed Jun 14 23:29:10 EDT 2006

In addition to using swatch, you can try ossec to
generate e-mails/active responses based on your snort
logs. It is much more powerful then swatch (or
guardian) because it allows you to alert based on:

-Single IDS events.
-Mutliple IDS events for same source ip in a specific
timeframe.
-Multiple IDS events for same snort ID in a specific
time.
-Only for the first time a Snort ID is seen.
-Only for the first time a Snort ID/IP combo
is seen.
-Only on specific categories.
-Only on specific priorities (or any other option
you want).
-You can ignore specific IPs/Snort IDS.
-You can specify maximum number of alerts per hour,
and if this number is reached, it will send all the
alerts in just one e-mail.
-You can ignore automatically rules that alert too
often.

Oh, ossec also analyzes a lot of other log formats,
being easy to integrate with other applications.

*Don't take my word for it, because I'm an ossec
developer, but you should give it a try. Installation
is pretty easy too.

Last version:
http://www.ossec.net/files/ossec-hids-0.8-3.tar.gz

Website:
http://www.ossec.net

Thanks,

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid @ ( at ) ossec.net

--- Denis Morejon Lopez <denis at ...13847...>