[Snort-users] Memory leak in snort?

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Thu Jun 8 15:37:42 EDT 2006

snort user wrote:
> I take it back.
> I meant "that might be one possible place" and not "that might be only
> possible place"

As it turns out, that's precisely what the problem is.  I commented out
both stream4 preprocessor lines in the snort.conf file and restarted
snort, and swapinfo reported 58MB of swap in use for over 24 hours.  I
uncommented them, restarted snort, and swap usage began to climb again.
  It was up to 1.6GB when I commented them out again and restarted snort.

Hopefully someone at snort can take a look at this and figure out where
the memory leak is.

If you need details from me, email me.  This is a FreeBSD box running
dual amd/64 processors.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer