[Snort-users] New tool : An interactive snort.stats grapher.

Gavin Henry ghenry at ...13675...
Tue Jan 3 02:34:02 EST 2006

<quote who="Gulfie">
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:03:17PM -0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
>> <quote who="Gulfie">
>> >

>> > 	gpss is a little interactive glue between snort.stats and gnuplot.
>> >
>> > 	It's helped me understand more of what is going on.  Maybe it can
>> help
>> > you too.
>> >
>> > 	http://www.grotto-group.com/~gulfie/projects/annalysis/gpss.subpage.html
>> >

>> > 						-gulfie
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you take patches?
>

> In general, not currently.
>
> Ideas, criticism, ridicule, requests, yes.
>
> Is a patch something you want to do, or something
> you would like done?

Something I can do, see below.

>> No "use strict;",
>
> Good point.  It has been done.
>
> http://www.grotto-group.com/~gulfie/projects/annalysis/gpss/dist/gpss.dev

Good.

>> no "GetOpt::Long",
>
> I am wary of perl modules in general, external dependancy and complexity
> is not my thing. Getopt is no exception.  Also last I checked Getopt did
> not do some things that I tend/want to do.

Are you crazy? ;-) Code resue is the golden rule of all programming!
Modules stop complexity. The same problems you have hit and are trying to
solve have been all added to the Getopt modules and debugged tested by
hundreds of people.

Getopt* also come WITH Perl.

This kind of coding gives Perl a bad name ;-)

>> forcing list context everywhere etc. ;-)
>
> I love the list context, but a cogent argument could sway me.

When it's not needed don't use it.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.