[Snort-users] IDS Load Balancer

Jeff Coppock jcoppock1 at ...5068...
Tue Feb 28 21:39:03 EST 2006

barryab63-ia at ...131... wrote:
> Load balancing IDS's has a lot of gotcha's that you have to look out for.
>
> Sourcefire has an IDS that is rated for GIGE, up to 4 GIG.
>
> I'd definately try to find a solution that didn't include load
> balancing.  No matter how you do it, you'll end up giving up something.
>
> Barry

Take a look at the Nortel Application Switch.  It has a specific mode for
load balancing IDS servers.  This mode makes sure that all the packets for
a client/server session get sent to the same IDS server in the farm.
That's the key, keeping the sessions together.

You can also have multple IDS Server groups and you can filter such that
traffic for specific applications get sent to a particular IDS Server group.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User