[Snort-users] Response 1: Barnyard trouble acid_db

Jacob, Raymond A Jr raymond.jacob at ...7622...
Fri Feb 24 08:28:09 EST 2006

Thanks for your help I am running cvsup now src then ports.
In reference to:
>  Does each barnyard require its own unifed log/alert
> file or can multiple barnyard processes share the same output file?

I don't believe they can share the same output file.  I'm not certain about
that, though.  (I'm also not sure why you would want to do that.)

--- I would like to setup  BASE consoles for different groups of users.
--- For instance my group needs to look at all traffic entering the Border DMZ
--- and keep that traffic in one database for one week daily review and another database
--- for one month for monthly reports.
--- Each customer wants to review alerts generated by traffic to or from his DMZ behind the Border DMZ.
--- The amount of alerts I review is huge,as a result the mysql database is large and slow to load under ACID.
--- The amount of alerts this customer generates is miniscule in comparison to the number
--- of alerts I have to review. So what I was going to do was create a database named
--- snort_cust1 and a BASE installation for that customer so she can review her alerts whenever
--- she wants as opposed to once a month when I generate a report with a canned SQL query.
--- I am assuming that snort will allow me to create as many unified logs as I desire, say three(1):
--- One for the Border DMZ weekly, One for the Border DMZ archive monthly, One for the customer.
--- I was planning to use the berkley filter option in Barnyard to limit the scope of what traffic
--- is captured to the Customer's Network.
--- Thank you,
----Raymond