[Snort-users] Response 1: Barnyard trouble acid_db

Jacob, Raymond A Jr raymond.jacob at ...7622...
Thu Feb 23 12:36:04 EST 2006

I believe I downloaded the packages from
ftp.bsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/All/barnyard-0.2.0.tbz  48303 Oct 12 13:36
and
ftp.bsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/barnyard-0.2.0.tbz     48329 Feb 12 11:43

I tried both packages and they could not find the acid_db plugin.

Next I took your suggestion and cd to /usr/ports/security/barnyard/
and ran make install.

ports kept trying to fetch mysq-client-4.13.tar.gz from alot of strange places.

I am thinking because I have not run cvsup yet  that
the ports tree is out of date. I can not run cvsup until after hours and I forgot
to run it last night.
Next:
I downloaded the package:
 ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/databases/mysql-client-4.1.13.tbz

then ran pkg_add -f mysql-client-4.1.13.tbz. I had already installed mysql-client-4.1.16_1 to get
snort to send alerts to the mysql database before I decided to try barnyard.
so I had to force the install of mysql-client-4.1.13.tbz.

I don't know why barnyard requires mysql-client-4.1.13 and did not use mysql-client-4.1.16_1 in /var/db.
I typed: cd /usr/ports/security/barnyard,ran make, make install, and clean.
I ran barnyard.I did not get mysql errors anymore that I had with version that I downloaded from www.snort.org/dl/barnyard and barnyard is attempting to contact the mysql database.

A few questions if I may:
Question1: It is my understanding one can have more than one instance of barnyard running.
Does each barnyard require its own unifed log/alert file or can multiple barnyard processes
share the same output file?
Question2: How do I turn the /doc/USAGE file into a man page?
Question3: Where is the MASTER_SITE info kept for mysql? I would like to speed up install
when I do this on another box instead of typing
make MASTER_SITE_OVERIDE =ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/databases/
in the /usr/ports/database/mysql41-client directory.

Thank you,
Raymond