[Snort-users] Help with installing on RH4 R2

Patrick S. Harper patrick at ...4250...
Wed Feb 22 10:02:01 EST 2006

Look at the client version, not the same as the server, bench, and devel.
Might be your problem, grab the corresponding rpm and upgrade the older
version and it might help.  I would still suggest using source code for
snort even though I use rpm's for everything else.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Eric
Langheinrich
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:49 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Help with installing on RH4 R2

> The way the RPM's are structured has changed sine then.  I would
> suggest looking at the newest doc I have on snort.org and using that.
> It will compile from snort source. Also make sure you have all the
> mysql rpm's installed.
>
> [root at ...2306... ~]# rpm -qa |grep mysql
> php-mysql-4.3.9-3.9
> mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
> mysql-server-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
> mysql-devel-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysql-bench-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
>

>> When I run make, I am getting the following error:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1

Running rpm -qa |grep mysql returns:

mysql-bench-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-server-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.8
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-10.RHEL4.1
mysql-devel-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-devel-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1

The error I receive is when I am following the current version of the guide,
when running make.

I've tried a few different options with the configure doing
--with-mysql=somepath, but still run into errors when I run make.

Just not quite sure what I'm missing.