[Snort-users] Help with installing on RH4 R2

Eric Langheinrich snort at ...13709...
Wed Feb 22 08:50:01 EST 2006

> The way the RPM's are structured has changed sine then.  I would
> suggest looking at the newest doc I have on snort.org and using that.
> It will compile from snort source. Also make sure you have all the
> mysql rpm's installed.
>
> [root at ...2306... ~]# rpm -qa |grep mysql
> php-mysql-4.3.9-3.9
> mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
> mysql-server-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
> mysql-devel-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> mysql-bench-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
>

>> When I run make, I am getting the following error:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1

Running rpm -qa |grep mysql returns:

mysql-bench-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-server-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.8
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-10.RHEL4.1
mysql-devel-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-devel-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1

The error I receive is when I am following the current version of the guide,
when running make.

I've tried a few different options with the configure doing
--with-mysql=somepath, but still run into errors when I run make.

Just not quite sure what I'm missing.