[Snort-users] Help with installing on RH4 R2

Patrick S. Harper patrick at ...4250...
Wed Feb 22 04:54:03 EST 2006

The way the RPM's are structured has changed sine then.  I would suggest
looking at the newest doc I have on snort.org and using that.  It will
compile from snort source. Also make sure you have all the mysql rpm's
installed.

[root at ...2306... ~]# rpm -qa |grep mysql
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.9
mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
mysql-server-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-devel-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
mysql-bench-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Eric
Langheinrich
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:30 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Help with installing on RH4 R2

Hi, I'm trying to install Snort on RH ES4 R2 with the base RPMs from the CDs
following the directions provided by Patrick Harper.

Everything runs great through the ./configure --with-mysql

When I run make, I am getting the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1

Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance