[Snort-users] modifying priority on certain rules

Christina McAghon cmcaghon at ...13708...
Tue Feb 21 14:53:02 EST 2006

Thanks for the feedback.  However, the problem isn't with how I change the
rule, it's the fact that the updated priority isn't taking effect.

In my oinkmaster.conf, I added the line:
modifysid 2466 "classtype:protocol-command-decode;" |
"classtype:protocol-command-decode; priority:2;"

That successfully updates the rule, but the priority is still coming
through as the default (3).

Thanks again, oinkmaster is great ;)

Christina

Andreas Östling <andreaso at ...236...>
02/21/2006 05:30 PM

Christina McAghon <cmcaghon at ...13708...>
cc
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: [Snort-users] modifying priority on certain rules

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Christina McAghon wrote:

> I am running snort v2.3.3.  I would like to change the priority of a few
> certain rules (without affecting the default classification.config
> priority).  I thought I could achieve this by copying the rule from its
> rule file into local.rules.  In local.rules, I added the priority
> classification.  Here's an example:

I think that's generally a bad way to customize rules unless you're
careful. Moving a rule into local.rules usually means it will be
forgotten and stay there untouched forever, i.e. if the official
version of it gets updated, you would still have the old one.

Now some shameless plugs...
I would use the "modifysid" function in Oinkmaster
(http://oinkmaster.sf.net/) to customize the rules instead. This way you
can continue to use the latest and greatest rules automatically while
still being able to tweak them, like changing the priority.
I tried to document these things in the Oinkmaster FAQ (Q21).

By the way, if you really ment Snort 2.3.3, you should upgrade to
2.4.3 ASAP. See the warning at http://www.snort.org/dl/old/ if you
don't believe me.

/Andreas