[Snort-users] snort-mysql will not start

CasperLinux CasperLinux at ...5068...
Tue Feb 7 18:04:10 EST 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 18:23, DonM wrote:
I offer myself up for public humiliation but I'm at my wits end (short run I
know).

I had a problem with my box and had to rebuild. This time I stuck with Debian
Testing to avoid my problem.  Now I'm reinstalling snort-mysql again and even
though I fixed this once I'm in the same position AGAIN!.

> I am running Debian unstable and added the snort-mysql package.  This
> installed snort and mysql (5.0).  I've added EMS software's Mysql Manager
> (trial) to control access to the databases.
>
> I added a database called snort to mysql and then configured snort to point
> to this database and configured the database structure via the supplied
> file.
>
> I verified (via MySQL Manager) that the structure exists where it was not
> there before.
>
> However, everytime I attmept to start snort I get the following error:
> FATAL ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/snort.conf:508):  I
> checked the internet and can find not exact matches to this problem.

This is the line that is bad according to the error message:

output database: log, mysql, user=xxxxxxxxxx password=xxxxxx dbname=snort
host=[name of box]

I have verified the username and password are correct by loggin in using mysql
and it works properly.  I have verified that the structure is present.  I
tried changing the host to 127.0.0.1 (which is the onlyl way I can get
mySQL-Manager to connect and to localhost - all without any luck.

I'm stuck.  The joke on me is I fixed this last time but didn't write down
what I did :(

Be gentle please.

Don