[Snort-users] frag3 order question

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Wed Aug 23 12:12:01 EDT 2006

No, the order does not matter.  It will process them all at the same time.

Joel

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:52:35AM -0400, Gentoo-Wally apparently sent me:
> when using multipule frag3 rules does their order make a diffreence in
> funtionality?
>
> is...
>
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy first, detect_anomalies
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy bsd, bind_to [1.1.1.1]
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy linux, bind_to [1.1.1.3,1.1.1.4,1.1.1.5]
>
> function that same as..
>
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy linux, bind_to [1.1.1.3,1.1.1.4,1.1.1.5]
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy bsd, bind_to [1.1.2.0/24]
> preprocessor frag3_engine: policy first, detect_anomalies
>

> I always thaught that eirlier ststements kind of acted as filters for
> the final statement which is kind of a catch all for every thing not
> previously defined, but I'm not sure if the actual order plays a part
> in this. If ithe 'policy first' config is first in line will every
> thing use that frag3?
>
> Wally

joel esler          senior security consultant         1-706-627-2101
Sourcefire    Security for the /Real/ World -- http://www.sourcefire.com
       Snort - Open Source Network IPS/IDS -- http://www.snort.org
           aim:eslerjoel  ymsg:eslerjoel gtalk:eslerj