[Snort-users] multiple instances of snort and barnyard

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Wed Aug 23 12:05:04 EDT 2006

You can create different directories for each instance, Have all the unified filed for each instance of Snort log to its own directory, then have 3 instances of barnyard, each reading from it's respective directory.

Joel

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:41:05AM -0500, Spencer Anderson apparently sent me:
> I run several instances of Snort on SuSE Linux (to monitor traffic on
> 2-3 NICs) and I have been logging directly to a MySQL database. I would
> like to start using the unified output and barnyard.  I have it working
> for the most part, the problem is I have a unified output file for each
> interface that I have snort listening on and I can't get multiple
> instances of barnyard to run in continuous mode to process each log
> file.
>
> I'd prefer to run barnyard in batch mode in 10 minute intervals on each
> log file, I can't seem to do that either without restarting snort each
> time after I run barnyard to create a new unified log file.
>
> Is there a way to run barnyard in batch mode so that each time it's run
> against a file it only processes events that it hasn't processed before?
>

> Or, is there a way to have multiple continuous instances of barnyard
> running so each instance can maintain its corresponding snort unified
> log file?
>
> Or, is there a better way to have each event captured by snort
> associated with the network interface it was detected on?
>
> SuSE Enterprise 9
> Snort 2.4.5
> Barnyard 0.2.0
>
> Thanks,
> Spencer

joel esler          senior security consultant         1-706-627-2101
Sourcefire    Security for the /Real/ World -- http://www.sourcefire.com
       Snort - Open Source Network IPS/IDS -- http://www.snort.org
           aim:eslerjoel  ymsg:eslerjoel gtalk:eslerj