[Snort-users] Snort Segfaulting

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...8860...
Mon Aug 7 14:52:52 EDT 2006

All,

I am running in to a problem here on a Snort sensor that seems to be
segfaulting. For some reason this only happens with Snort 3.4. When
Snort 3.3 is used, the problem does not occur. I've tried (2) different
Linux distros at this point, both SuSE 9 and CentOS 4 -- the problem
occurs on both.

Snort does not log any crash details or information to the snort_log.

Has anyone run in to this? Does anyone know what the problem may be
attributed to?

[root at ...274... bin]# /aw/sbin/snort2.4 -i eth0 -c
/usr/local/appliedwatch/agent/inst/agent.aWGz2T/data/snort/conf/snort.co
nf -l /usr/local/appliedwatch/agent/inst/agent.aWGz2T/var/snort/log

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

   ,,_     -*> Snort_Inline! <*-
  o"  )~   Version 2.4.5 (Build 29)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
http://www.snort.org/team.html
           (C) Copyright 1998-2005 Sourcefire Inc., et al.
           Snort_Inline Mod by William Metcalf, Victor Julien, Nick
Rogness,
           Dave Remien, Rob McMillen and Jed Haile
 NOTE: Snort's default output has changed in version 2.4.1!
       The default logging mode is now PCAP, use "-K ascii" to activate
       the old default logging mode.

Segmentation fault

- --

Best Regards,

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Email:   eric.hines at ...8860...
Address: 1095 Pingree Road
         Suite 213
         Crystal Lake, IL
         60014
Tel:     (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Fax:     (847) 854-5106
Web:     http://www.appliedwatch.com

Security Management for the Open Source Enterprise