[Snort-users] Snort performance concerns

sekure sekure at ...11827...
Fri Sep 30 07:44:13 EDT 2005

First place i'd look is disabling rules you don't need.  Not sure if
you've done that already, but many people are running with much larger
rulesets than what they need.  I was seeing the same thing you were,
for example, certain sensors are handling near 100Mbps with minimal
drops, while others are dropping packets at > 3Mbps.

After disabling some unnecessary rulesets the CPU utilization went way
down and i haven't seen any issues since.

I've seen the highest performance hit with the web-client rules for
some reason.  So disabling try that first.