[Snort-users] learning snort

James B Horwath JamesHorwath at ...3796...
Wed Sep 28 12:50:41 EDT 2005

I am in the process of studying for the GCIA second exam which covers
snort setup and use.  I have been reading the mailing list, snort
documentation and playing with a small controlled snort setup. Although
RTFM is great, I learn better by actually doing hands on things.  I am
using a packet crafting tool like hping2 to watch and learn how snort
works.  I have been reading about tools like snot which use the snort
configuration and build packets based on the configuration.  This seems
like an ideal way to learn more about snort behavior. I am having trouble
finding snot, are there any other tools recommended to exercise snort and
learn the what, why's and how.  I don't have access to any large network
to  try a live implementation, so my small and humble lab is the best I
can do.  Any recommendations I would really appreciate.

Regards,
Jim

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that
is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If
immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments.  Thank you.