[Snort-users] Re: ACID/BASE vs PRELUDE

Gene R Gomez gene at ...13522...
Mon Sep 19 16:09:04 EDT 2005

Hey Kris,
Yeah, this has been a big issue for many people using the Open Source
version of the software; enough that we have put some time into
developing a new schema that's been deployed into the commercial version
of the software.  We've tested this new schema up to about 480K+ events,
and Prewikka can render that in about 3 seconds on decent hardware.
We're currently working on back-porting portions of the schema update
functionality into the Open Source version.  Unfortunately, as a team we
set a deadline for the 0.9 release (it's been in development for a very
long time) that didn't allow for the inclusion of a schema update for
the Open Source version.
Now, on another note, I did some research for the team on ways to
mitigate this from the database server side.  Most of the default MySQL
settings are pretty bad in terms of allotted RAM and cache space for
both queries and indices.  I'll admit, the performance is still not so
good after tweaking MySQL up, but it's far better than the numbers you
give below.
At any rate, improvements are on their way.  We can only work so fast,
though.  ;)

Gene R Gomez