[Snort-users] Snort 2.4.1 Available

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Sun Sep 18 20:23:54 EDT 2005

Man, I'm batting 1.000 this week.

The 2.4.1 release was assembled on Friday afternoon.  By the time the
tarballs were ready to go (I had to do some testing of the new
logging options and the docs needed an update), the people who handle
the win32 builds had gone home for the weekend.  I don't have a win32
build environment for Snort setup so I decided that it would be
better to release the source tarballs and give people who can do
builds the ability to get up to date rather than delaying until
Monday or Tuesday when we could get a full set win32/rpm/os x builds
together.  No binaries for other platforms were released either, the
source should be sufficient for anyone who has the skill to run an
IDS in a production environment.

We updated the code for every platform that can support Snort, if
your platform doesn't come with a compiler and reasonable development
environment that's not Sourcefire's fault or responsibility.

Now, to dig into the specifics of the release, if you take a quick
look at the ChangeLogs or RELEASE.NOTES you'll note that we added
support for WinPCAP 3.1 and MySQL 4.13 on the win32 platform.  Even
though we don't use those platforms for any of our products, I might
note.
That said, the Snort Team at Sourcefire continues to improve and
maintain the entire program, including the win32 port.  In this
particular case I decided we should go ahead and give people a way to
get the latest Snort with the patch for the DoS from last week so
that if people were feeling motivated they could get coverage for it
(if they weren't up for "download log.c from CVS" thing).  Sourcefire
just started doing win32 builds "officially" with 2.3.3, so it hasn't
exatly been years of neglect.

People are not *entitled* to builds of Snort from Sourcefire or
anyone else.  Our obligation, to the best of my (admittedly limited)
knowledge, is to develop Snort and provide source code releases when
we're able.  This hasn't changed since the Snort project was me with
a couple computers operating on my own out of my spare bedroom.
Win32 users aren't getting the short end of the stick with 2.4.1,
there was no stick to get the short end of in this particular case.
We're going to work on getting binary builds put together this week,
when they're ready we'll make a general announcement.

      -Marty

- --
Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend.