[Snort-Users] Snort 2.4.1 Available

Ted Rohling ted.rohling at ...12901...
Sun Sep 18 10:54:03 EDT 2005

I thought the flame wars of old were long gone.

If the children cannot get along, a trip to the principals office might be
in order.

I get enough "crap" emails already so lighten up, take your flames off the
list and grow up!

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jason
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:16 PM
To: Michael Steele
Cc: taosecurity at ...11827...; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-Users] Snort 2.4.1 Available

Michael Steele wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Sourcefire already does this, and this was senseless post like several
> of the past on this subject. Not by you (accept this one) but others
> that think that their preferred OS over another preferred OS should be
given priority.
> For Sourcefire to think that the *nix environment deserves priority
> because it holds the majority in the Snort IDS field is simply wrong.

Sourcefire is not making this statement. You are making the statement but
that does not translate into Sourcefire's opinion.

>>From the inception of Snort being made to run on Windows that
>>environment
> has always been a low priority, and this was pre-Sourcefire. So this
> is nothing new.
>
> The compile methods have change over the past several years and Chris
> Reid used to be the one responsible for the Win32 compiles. For the
> last year Chris has vanished from the Snort IDS scene and Sourcefire
> has taken over that responsibility.

Yet you complain that they are not supporting windows users.

> If Sourcefire would like to furnish us with an official way to compile
> the source code then we would be willing to give our time to compile
> each official public release for the Win32 environment.

Ohh I get it. Your time is dependent on Sourcefire enabling you to do what
you are supposed to be able to do already. As the primary person responsible
for winsnort.com I would expect you to be able to produce windows builds for
your customers. It is not the burden of Sourcefire to enable your business
model to be successful.

> The bottom line is; nobody wants to be told that their Snort IDS is a
> low priority because of the OS their running. A Snort IDS in the field
> using any OS is no less important then it's counterpart.

And nobody from Sourcefire is telling you that. There are _NO BUILDS_ for
2.4.1 on the site. There is no discrimination and no message that windows
users are less important. They are equally important and it seems the only
person that has a problem with this is you.

Sourcefire[0] is giving you something to sell which costs you nothing and
makes you something. Can't you be happy with that in itself?

Kindest regards,
Jason...

[0] - No offense to the many contributors to Snort. The context is in that
of Sourcefire since Michael is directly attacking Sourcefire for not
supporting _his_ business model.

> Kindest regards,
> Michael...
>
> WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
> --
> Pick up your FREE Snort on Windows installation guide
> mailto:support at ...9077...
> Website: http://www.winsnort.com
>
> Snort: Open Source Network IDS - http://www.snort.org -----Original
> Message-----

These words are my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of my employer.

Snort-users list archive: