[Snort-Users] Snort 2.4.1 Available

Jason security at ...5028...
Sun Sep 18 10:17:06 EDT 2005

Michael Steele wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Sourcefire already does this, and this was senseless post like several of
> the past on this subject. Not by you (accept this one) but others that think
> that their preferred OS over another preferred OS should be given priority.
> For Sourcefire to think that the *nix environment deserves priority because
> it holds the majority in the Snort IDS field is simply wrong.

Sourcefire is not making this statement. You are making the statement
but that does not translate into Sourcefire's opinion.

>>From the inception of Snort being made to run on Windows that environment
> has always been a low priority, and this was pre-Sourcefire. So this is
> nothing new.
>
> The compile methods have change over the past several years and Chris Reid
> used to be the one responsible for the Win32 compiles. For the last year
> Chris has vanished from the Snort IDS scene and Sourcefire has taken over
> that responsibility.

Yet you complain that they are not supporting windows users.

> If Sourcefire would like to furnish us with an official way to compile the
> source code then we would be willing to give our time to compile each
> official public release for the Win32 environment.

Ohh I get it. Your time is dependent on Sourcefire enabling you to do
what you are supposed to be able to do already. As the primary person
responsible for winsnort.com I would expect you to be able to produce
windows builds for your customers. It is not the burden of Sourcefire to
enable your business model to be successful.

> The bottom line is; nobody wants to be told that their Snort IDS is a low
> priority because of the OS their running. A Snort IDS in the field using any
> OS is no less important then it's counterpart.

And nobody from Sourcefire is telling you that. There are _NO BUILDS_
for 2.4.1 on the site. There is no discrimination and no message that
windows users are less important. They are equally important and it
seems the only person that has a problem with this is you.

Sourcefire[0] is giving you something to sell which costs you nothing
and makes you something. Can't you be happy with that in itself?

Kindest regards,
Jason...

[0] - No offense to the many contributors to Snort. The context is in
that of Sourcefire since Michael is directly attacking Sourcefire for
not supporting _his_ business model.

> Kindest regards,
> Michael...
>
> WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
> --
> Pick up your FREE Snort on Windows installation guide
> mailto:support at ...9077...
> Website: http://www.winsnort.com

These words are my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of my employer.