[Snort-users] New Snort 2.2 Rules

Andre' M. DiMino tsamp77 at ...549...
Thu Sep 15 16:34:08 EDT 2005

Alex,

Thank you for clearing this up.. The new flow preprocessor is certainly much
more powerful and flexible than before.
The newer rule set and Snort's overall performance really shines now.

Thanks again,

Andre'

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Kirk [mailto:alex.kirk at ...1935...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:03 PM
To: Andre' M. DiMino; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] New Snort 2.2 Rules

This is partly correct. The flow preprocessor still handles keeping track of
a TCP connection's state & direction, as always. The distinction you're
seeing is that many older rules used things like flags:AP to attempt to
detect established connections -- not a particularly reliable method, given
that it's possible to set the ACK & PUSH flags on a packet that is not part
of an established TCP connection
-- while modern rules use the flow:established keyword/value pair to use the
capabilities of the flow preprocessor to do this type of checking.
Since the preprocessor is much, much more accurate when determining
connection state, it filters out an even larger number of malicious packets
which are not part of an existing TCP connection than flags:AP or the like,
and as a result your IDS will be correspondingly more quiet.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.