[Snort-users] Snort and mysql.sock

Evan J maps.this.address at ...11827...
Thu Sep 8 20:36:07 EDT 2005

Dear Luca,

I had the exact same issue two weeks ago when I started using Snort. I
asked around on every forum and mailing list related to MySQL and PHP
and to my amazement no one had an answer to my problem.

Anyway, after a few sleepless nights, one guy pointed out the culprit.
Check out the permission on `/var/run/mysql'.  If you get something
like:

$user> ls -la /var/run/mysql
drwxrwx--- 2 mysql mysql 80 2005-08-24 22:09 ./

Then of course the directory is not world readable. `chmod 755
/var/run/mysql' so PHP be able to read it the socket file.

Now, I do not know why you are trying to change the MySQL socket file
path to be located inside your webserver root documet!!!