[Snort-users] Snort and mysql.sock

Hartman, Shane SHARTMAN at ...13482...
Thu Sep 8 08:09:07 EDT 2005

Sounds like a rights issues, check to make sure the account you are using to
start snort has rights to that file. Also you cannot use root to start snort
with mysql. I usually create a snort service account to run this process.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Luca Losio
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:12 AM
To: Snort
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort and mysql.sock

Hi,
I'm using snort Version 2.1.2 (Build 25) on a OpenBSD 3.7 compiled with
mysql support.

I modified the /etc/my.cnf file for using a different mysql sock
(/var/www/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock  instead of var/run/mysql/mysql.sock)
this why I want php scripts to connect to the mysql server.
All the php scripts are working, mysql client is working correctly with this
sock. Not snort. Snort complains it can't find the sock:

FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server
throughsocket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I searched thru the snort.conf but I can't find this variable..
Please tell me the sock path isn't hardcoded into snort...

Bye!

P.s I know I can get snort working with this sock using a link, just
wondering why snort want this particular sock :)